DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, April 19, 2008

10K

My blog reached 10,000 hits Thursday. Wouldn’t it have been nice if that individual had had something new to read instead of my stale 4/7 post?

I’ve been following a bit of the Democratic campaign. It’s amazing the shit people will do and say to become leader of the free world. I’ve been particularly interested in Hillary’s quest. I felt sorry for her the other day when I saw a clip of her shaking hands with a crowd. Somebody was pumping her arm so hard, while she had this smile frozen on her face, that I thought it was going to come out of its socket. I also appreciated seeing the multimillionaire populist having a shot and a beer at a bar in Indiana. She’s been playing up her Scranton roots for the PA primary. Apparently her old man was born there. I’ll soon be regaling you with stories of my Brooklyn roots.

As far as DJ, his existence has been as mundane as ever. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to write about it. I might have a bit more material if I had met TCG, The Exec and the numbers for a beer, and possibly a shot, last night as we had planned. However, I had to back out of our little compassion forum since I was a bit under the weather. What else? I did get a short haircut a few weeks back. One of my work buds said I looked like a convict. I took exception to that until I caught a bit of MSNBC’s Lock Up San Quentin. There was a guy in the yard giving haircuts just like mine.

I got a solicitation from an old high school friend for an education fund for our alma mater. I kicked in the recommended double sawbuck and then sent out a note to the class email distribution list. I explained that I would have given more but that 4M and The UK convinced me to try to play kingmaker on both sides of the aisle during one of our drunken dinners in Vegas last year. I was short because I ended up putting too much dough into the Gravel and Tancredo campaigns.

My 15 year old daughter went to her first concert recently. She saw Panic At The Disco at The Warfield in SF. I’m not familiar with their work. My first concert was J Geils and Yes at Gaelic Park in The Bronx. I think that was the summer of ’72 but I‘ll leave it up to my brother to correct me.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/20/2008 9:52 AM, Blogger Jim Ambras said…

    It's amazing how effective hitting the refresh button in your browser is to generate so many hits on the blog...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home