DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Brief Party

The birthday party I mentioned in my 3/10/07 post came off last Saturday night. It was a carbon neutral event. We had a Cinco de Mayo theme, one week early. There was some excellent Mexican cuisine provided by one of the teachers at son #1’s school, who does catering on the side. The tequila flowed copiously. Although I had requested no gifts, many were bestowed upon me, including high end wine, designer tequila, and a Hawaii vacation. I can’t figure out if I got all this because I’m such a beloved individual or if people ignore everything I say. I was thinking of doing a quick thank you in the blog to get out of having to write individual notes but, even for a slug like me, that would be a bit cheesy.

A couple hours into the evening there was a presentation detailing the first fifty years of my life. The Exec and Numbers 1 and 2 put it together, with some assistance from Unc and The Wig. We often do this type of retrospective for each other’s birthdays. Generally I’m the lead writer on them, so they are actually funny. But obviously I could not be involved with this one, which sadly descended into character assassination. After the 10 minute video, I was asked if I had any words to say. I did. “I find this portrayal reprehensible. The party’s over. Get out!”

1 Comments:

  • At 5/06/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Jim Ambras said…

    And to check out the action at this party go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQ4uz-s3pY
    or just do a search for "AARP old" on YouTube and you'll see the clip in the first page of the search results.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home